Florida has its own bail bond system, which gives someone who has been arrested and charged with a crime the opportunity to get out of jail and remain free until trial. Brevard County has an Administrative Order (AO) setting a Bail Schedule for arrested citizens held by the Brevard County Sheriff Office (BCSO) at the Brevard County Jail (BCJ). For example, the AO sets bail for a first (1st) offense Driving Under the Influence (DUI) at $500.00 or a second (2nd) DUI is set at $1,000.00 in Brevard County, Florida. These amounts are if you a Brevard County resident and if you are not a Brevard County resident continue to increase if you are a Florida resident, from out of state (Florida) or if you are from outside the USA. If you have been arrested and charged with a crime, or are considering posting bail for someone else, learning how the bail bond system works can help you obtain freedom for yourself or someone close to you.
1. What is Bail?
Bail is money or other property deposited with or promised to a court to persuade the judge to release a defendant from the Brevard County Jail, with the understanding that the defendant will return to court for the trial. A "bail bond" refers to the promise made by the defendant or a "surety" (someone who promises to pay for the defendant) to the court by posting a surety bond or cash bond so if the defendant does not return that they will forfeit the bail bond money. A surety can be a professional bail bond agent (bailbondsmen), or a friend or family member.
Click here to contact DUI Attorney
John C. Murphy
2. Bail Amount.
The purpose of setting bail is to ensure that the defendant appears at trial without necessarily having to keep the defendant in custody. The bail amount needs to be high enough so that the defendant will not simply forfeit the bail bond amount and disappear. Brevard County has preset bail amounts for each type of offense. Although, the jail judge can increase or decrease those preset amounts based on a number of factors usually your criminal record. The judge can decide to deny bail and not allow the defendant to be released if the defendant is a flight risk, or a danger to the community. Defendants are not usually considered a flight risk when they have family in to the area, ties to the community, employment, minimal criminal history, or a record of appearing as required in the past.
who understands how to get a high bond reduced
3. Posting Bail.
When you have a bail amount before or after your initial appearance, defendants, friends or sureties can post a bail bond of either a surety bond or a cash bond with the jail.
How do I bond someone out of jail?
Option A) Cash Bond: You may pay the full amount of the bond through Cashier’s Check, Certified Check, or Money Order, made payable to the “Brevard County Clerk of Courts”. For Debit/Credit card, you use TouchPay at www.touchpayonline.com on the Web, call 1-866-204-1603, or visit the Jail Complex to complete on-site paperwork. Depositors need a CID number and Inmate’s full name (Last, First). With a cash bond, the judge requires that the someone deposit the entire bail amount. The money is held until the case is concluded, and is refunded to the person who posted it after deducting any unpaid fines and court costs before returning the money.
Option B) Surety Bond: Bail agents, sometimes called bail bondsmen, act as sureties and post bail on behalf of defendants. A bail bondsman makes a profit by charging the defendant a non-refundable fee (usually 10% of the bail amount). You may be required to put up additional collateral for the other 90%. If the defendant fails to appear in court, the bail bondsman forfeits the bond amount. The agent may also bring a civil suit against the defendant or anyone else obligated under the bail bondsman's contract to recover the bail money the agent paid to the court.
Local Bail Bond companies or bail bondsmen near me include: Coastal Bail Bonds, Brevard Bonds or Bail 2 Go, Ammediate Bail Bonds, A Way Out Bail Bonds, A American Bail Bonds, A Absolute Bail Bond, A Bustin Out Bail Bonds, Tom Culbreth Bail Bonds, Moncrief Bail Bonds, Shellys Bail Bonds, Liberty Bail Bonds, Baker Bail Bonds, 1st Way Out Bail Bonds and Prestige Bail Bonds.
After bonding out contact Attorney John C. Murphy
Get him on your team!
4. Getting “bonded out”.
How long will it take to bond someone out?
From the Brevard County Sheriff: Release of an incarcerated individual is a time-consuming process that must accommodate all those being processed through the facility. Bond may be posted 24 hours a day, it can take several hours to release individuals due to the numerous checks and balances used to ensure proper release procedures are being followed, and that the correct individual is released.
Attorney John C. Murphy wants to help you!